Palace Žofín – This renaissance building is located in the heart of Prague on the romantic and scenic Slovansky island. In addition to a nice park, this island provides a unique view of the waterfront with the National Theatre and Prague Castle on the other side of the river. It is not only the view which reminds you that in this Palace history has been made. A brief look at the history of this magnificent building reveals that on these floors have walked artists and celebrities such as Smetana, Kubelík, Wagner, and Tchaikovsky. The best from this golden era, including paintings and stuccoing, still remain here.
Location at the Palace Žofín: The Garden (in front of the house) and then The Large Hall (1 floor up)
Address: Slovanský ostrov 226, 110 00 Praha 1
Time: 19:00 – 00:00
Set up: Welcome drink, A sit-down dinner and mingle to midnight.
PRAGUE MARRIOTT TO Palace Žofín
Bus 1 & 2 leaves at 6:00pm
Bus 3 & 4 leaves at 6:15pm
Bus 5 leaves at 6:30pm
Bus 6 leaves at 6:45pm
Palace Žofín TO PRAGUE MARRIOTT
Bus 1 leaves at 10:00 pm
Bus 2 leaves at 10:30 pm
Bus 3 leaves at 11:00 pm
Bus 4 leaves at 11:30 pm
Bus 5 leaves at 12:00 pm (Last bus)
The Slavonic island became a true island after the great flood of 1784, when it was secured with a low embankment and trees were planted among the shrubs. This created an island 250 metres long and 100 metres wide. Leather dyers moved onto the island from the New Town, bringing their work with them, and the island was initially named Dyers’ Island.
The miller Václav Novotný buys the island. The new owner of the island has generously decided to transform it into a major social and cultural center of Prague by creating three new brick buildings – a restaurant, a spa and a residential building.
On 27th September 1840 Dyers’ Island was visited by Archduke Franz Karl, the father of the Emperor Franz Joseph I. To memorate this visit, the Dyers’ Island was named after the Archduke’s wife Sophia – the Žofín Island.
Žofín Island became famous in May 1841 by another attraction. On a circular track of 158 meters, a small steam train called the Czech Lion began to ride on the island. It was a diminutive steam train. Currently, a copy of the steam train is again on the Slovanský Island and carries children at the children’s playground.
On June 2, 1848, the Slavonic Congress in Prague was launched on the Žofín Island. According to this event, the island gained its name – Slavonic island. It was chaired by František Palacký and was attended by many prominent Slavic personalities of his time. It was one of the milestones of the Slavic movement that started the gradual journey of slavic nations to self-determination.
More information here: https://www.zofin.cz/en/history-of-palace-zofin/